Sunday, April 26, 2009

Lowe's Build and Grow Clinics


Yesterday we spent our morning at Lowe's. They have a really great program for children every-other-Saturday called the Lowe's Build and Grow Clinics. These workshops provide hammers, nails, a detail and illustration-filled flyer, and tables to build your project. Also, on your first visit, your children receive a Lowe's Build and Grow Clinic apron with clear work goggles to bring back to each of your clinic visits. This program is completely free of charge and open to children of all ages. Having attended several of these, I would think ages 2-12 are those who would get the most enjoyment. No purchase is required. This does require an adult to be present. Young children are not typically able to build these without some sort of assistance; and Lowe's does not provide anyone to help instruct or build. They only provide the equipment and the location.

The boys really think that this is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Every-other-Friday night the boys jump into their beds excitedly talking about the next day-their "Lowe's Day". We have now completed close to twenty workshops and have received patches for our aprons to show just how cool (and talented) we are.


By the way, I have spent many many hours sewing on these patches. Initially I thought I would just hand-sew them. Uh...no. After the first couple of patches, I realized that was a really bad idea. It took me too long and the aprons didn't look as good as if I were to get out the sewing machine.

So, reluctantly, I got it out. And, let me tell ya, it was a learning experience all over again. It had been many years since I had sewn anything. I figured I could easily jump right in because I remember how to sew, right? Well, no again. The tension was all messed up and I had to break out the directions several times to relearn how to adjust the tension on the thread and on the bobbin. It took me hours to get it right. Then, when I did get it right, I was not at all in practice. I sewed the string of Nick's apron to the front panel. Of course, I had to fix that. Then, it looked like a blind person had sewn it. Then again, maybe a blind person would have done a better job. After several more weeks of practicing with patches, I finally got good at it. I went back and removed and reattached the patches that were sewn on before I became such a sewing expert.


Here is a picture of Nick's apron. How cool is that?!






For anyone who is interested in taking their children (younger than teenagers) to a fun and free project, you can check your local Lowe's schedule by searching online at this link:


I hope you and your children will enjoy these as much as we do. Free and fun projects to do with your children-what more could you ask for?

No comments: