Monday, March 16, 2009

Nicholas (From blog 4/29/08)

Copied from my blog on MySpace

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Nicholas
Current mood: adored

A little about my oldest son:

Nicholas....ahh....how can I describe him? He is wild. He is smart. He is a breath of fresh air. He is exhausting and stubborn. He is wonderful. He is sweet and kind. He is devilish and wicked. He is imaginative, inventive, and rambunctious. He is my handsome, blonde-haired, blue-eyed sweet heart. He can make me want to hug and kiss him one second while driving me completely insane the next.

I think he is craving alone time with me, although I cannot always give it to him. I also remember back when I could have all the time in the world with Nick, snuggling him in my arms whenever I or he wanted. Now, with Jacob, he has to share Mommy-like it or not. He misses Rick terribly. When Rick is home on weekends, he takes Nicholas off on daily outings to give me a break from at least one of the boys. Now that Rick has not been home, Nick is becoming more jealous and is beginning to act very dramatic over very small things. He is very much a drama king, but even this trait is getting a little exaggerated since Rick has been gone.

Our only time together alone is about 20-30 minutes in the evening after Jacob goes to sleep. I climb up on my bed with Nick, who every night is watching a small excerpt of a movie before his bedtime. He smiles and inevitably ends up on my lap. That is part of our routine. We watch a little of a movie of his choice, mainly movies like Nemo, Narnia, or Meet the Robinson's. Then, we brush teeth, say prayers and sing songs before bed.

I taught Nick to spit tonight. Ha ha! I have been trying to get him to spit out his toothpaste for quite a while but tonight we practiced and made major improvements. It is not good for children to swallow fluoride toothpaste, so I am glad to make even the smallest amount of progress in this area. Rick was disappointed and felt like he should be the one to teach spitting. Trust me: I agree and would have loved that. Hm, oh well. I guess that's one of the many things Rick misses out on.

After brushing teeth, Nick said his prayers. When Rick and I decided to introduce Nicholas to prayers, we tried to keep it very simple. We started saying the "Now I lay me down to sleep..." prayer at bedtime. Pretty soon, Nick knew it and began saying it on his own. He seemed to enjoy saying it and was very excited when I bought him a "Prayer Bear" at Walmart that also said the prayer. The bear had a modification to the prayer omitting "If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take" and replaced it with, "Angels watch me through the night, until I wake in the morning light". Now, really the only reason I am going through all of this information here is that as of three days ago, Nick has made his own modifications. "...Angels watch me through the night, until I wake with a policeman's light". Then he giggles wildly. Ahh, Nicholas. I figure it is not really worth correcting. His changes don't really change the true meaning of what he is doing, and besides, to me there is nothing wrong with puting your own little spin on your prayers. Prayers are between you and God, not anyone else. I feel, God knows exactly what Nick means.

No comments: