Thursday, April 30, 2009

Meatloaf is Our Favorite

I made my husband's favorite dinner tonight- homemade meatloaf, black-eyed peas and corn, and mashed potatoes. When I say "meatloaf", why is it that I always have a horrible picture in my mind? This meatloaf is actually quite tasty, not greasy, and has been a hit everytime I have made it.
What a bonus that the children gobbled it up also.

Jacob especially loved the fresh black-eyed peas and corn. He had three helpings. That child is absolutely fabulous about eating fruits and veggies. His favorites are berries (of all sorts) and salad with tomatoes. He even asked for an apple for dessert the other evening passing up pudding, ice cream and M&Ms. I knew Jacob liked apples; but, I was surprised when he passed up M&Ms.

Nicholas is a bit more finicky, but really also does a good job eating fruits and veggies. I could tell Nick was also surprised that Jacob passed on the M&Ms. He shrugged his shoulders and promptly told me that he would like to eat the M&Ms that Jacob did not want.

I would like to provide the recipe for my meatloaf because it is really quite good and not-so-bad for you. I make it as healthy as possible and no one misses the fat and calories that are missing from using the healthier ingredients.

Crystall's Meatloaf


2 lbs ground turkey (may also use 1lb lean ground beef and 1 lb ground turkey)

1 Packet of Lipton Recipe Secrets Onion Soup Mix
1/3 cup Ketchup
1/2 cup Egg Beaters

3 slices of Heart Healthy 45 Calories and Delightful Whole Wheat Bread (cut into cubes)
4 dashes of Worcestershire Sauce
1 medium onion (chopped)




Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine all ingredients in large bowl, mixing thoroughly. Shape into loaf in a 13X9" pan. Bake for 1 hour.

Hope you enjoy!

No comments: