Monday, July 27, 2009

Terrible TwoVille

Oh where, oh where has my little dog gone?
Oh where, oh where can he be?
With his ears cut short and his tail cut long.
Oh where, oh where can he be?


This is how I feel about Jacob.


Oh where, oh where has my sweet boy gone?
Oh where, oh where can he beeeeeeee?
With his round little buns and his hair cut short.
Oh where, oh where can he be?






I am sure I know the answer. He is gone-- only to reappear for a flash here and there in between bouts of anger, throwing toys, crying, pouting, kicking, hitting, and imitations of a limp noodle in protest. My little sweet angel boy Jacob is now hidden, somewhere deep down behind those big beautiful hazel eyes that will capture your heart in a second.




Jacob is two. Does that explain it? Terrible TwoVille.




In his place though, I happily welcome back my other sweet boy Nicholas. He has been hiding out in Terrible TwoVille now for a couple of years. In the last few weeks, Nick has finally returned. He is four and a half and it has been a long road. Don't get me wrong: Nick is the quintessential drama king. I am quite positive that will never change. However, his kind, selfless, helpful, understanding, gentle, and sympathetic side is finally back. Ahhhhh. It is really a wonderful thing to have my oldest little boy back to his sweet self. I was wondering for a while if Nick would ever make it out of that phase. He seemed to be having a blast. Here's keeping my fingers crossed that we all survive Jacob's trip to this God forsaken place, Terrible TwoVille.




Thankfully, God knows me. He knows that I need to see at least a small glimpse of my sweet boys every-once-in-a-while to reassure me of their eventual return from their two year old maturation camp. Often, at night, when the wild little boys finally slow down and rest their screaming little legs (and mouths) for the evening, they look up at me, give me big hugs and kisses and tell me how much they love me. Then, as with every evening, we all say prayers together. They thank God for everyone who they have laid their eyes upon in a long, sometimes rambling list. Mommy is always first on their list. Thank you God for that,... and for my two wonderfully exhausting sweet boys.

2 comments:

Loukia said...

Awww... I can so relate! Amazing how the terrible two-ville ends up lasting for a couple of years, huh? Not fun at all! Sometimes, though, the tantrums they throw about oh, NOTHING are quite funny to watch and I can't help but laugh, sometimes. Other times, I want to rip out my hair! My almost 4 year old (he'll be 4 on Saturday, OMG!) is still sometimes tantrum-y. Not fun! And his baby brother, who is 18 months old, has perfected the tantrum and the arched back thing. Oh, yes. So cute. ;)

Your kids are too cute!

Lady Mama said...

I'm there too - you know, in terrible twoville. Actually I shouldn't complain - Matthew really is a very sweet boy most of the time. But em, what's this about the terrible twos lasting until age 4.5? That's a joke right? Right?