Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Little Boys

"What are little boys made of?

Snips and snails, and puppy dogs tails

That's what little boys are made of !"


When Nicholas was very little, Rick and I had this idyllic plan of how our children were to be raised (or reared- for those who want to be grammatically correct). Very little TV, no cussing, no name-calling, perfectly healthy foods, low sugar, etc. Basically, our children were to be little angel children with never-fading halos above their heads. But, we soon found that the road to Hell is paved with the best intentions.

I have found that no matter what the perfect plan, you can't take the little boy out of the little boy. No matter what manners you have instilled in your son(s), little boys crack up laughing when they expel gas from some body orifice, run around screaming about chopping off each other's body parts, and inevitably search out ways to injure themselves. Then, when corrected, they promptly get angry, yelling, "Mommy, You NEVER let us have any fun!" Nice. As if fun would be described as becoming a pile of blood and guts. So, I am the rain on my boys' parades. I am the thorn in their sides and the bain of their existence. By the way, I AM their mother!

#1 They would not even exist without me.

#2 Isn't that what mothers are for?



I know it is only the tip of the iceberg. I can only imagine what the upcoming years hold. I also know the future is only a blink away; and, I will (one day) be wishing for the return of my rambunctious boys. For now, I will enjoy the little boy in them both- or at least I will try. And, of course, I will continue attempting to keep a tight grasp on what little sanity I still have, while at the same time I keep them safe.



My favorite little boy moment occurs every evening at bedtime, when all is settling down in our home.


Nick: Mommy, I love you soooooo much.

Me: I love you too, sweetheart.

Jacob: I wuv you, Mommy.

Me: Oh, I love you too Honey. Sweet Dreams, Boys. Remember, no talking- just sleeping.

2 comments:

Loukia said...

So, so true... my boys are active all day long! No stopping, no rest periods, no break for this mama! But they're so sweet and funny and I love them so much, even though I'm soooo tired!

Your little guys are adorable!

P.S. Can you train my almost 4 year old to tell me he loves me without being prompted first? Thanks!

Crystall said...

Ha! I would love to, Loukia, but there is no guarantee on the results. I am sure you know as well as I that little boys are also quite unpredictable.
Thanks for visiting and commenting. It's great to find new friends.