Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Playing Catch-Up




I was busy today doing some much needed housework. We have been going non-stop for over a week with Rick being sick and the fun-packed holiday weekend. So, when we returned to real life today when Rick went back to work, the "To Do List" was long. Our home had been neglected for long enough. It was beginning to really bother me. Once Rick was out the door, we got busy.


The children cooperated and even helped me get things back in order. Nick and Jacob picked up trains, little army men, and Matchbox cars while I ran around with the vacuum (threatening to suck up any toys that were left behind on the floor). Lyla was busy crawling around trying to keep up with me. I did about five loads of laundry and stripped and remade everyone's beds. It was a very productive day.
I am not that fond of cleaning; but, it is a really great feeling when I look around and things are not in complete disarray. For a few moments, the toys are all in the toy box, the floor is not speckled with dried droplets of juice and the bathroom sink is not covered with a thousand sticky fingerprints. The time that it takes me to look around, just a few seconds, does not last long. But, for now, while I have a 4 year old, 2 year old and a 9 month old, it will have to do. For, in another split second, the cleanliness is nothing but a memory.

When Rick came home from work, I was happy to report that the children had all been very well-behaved all day. With the excitement over the last two weeks with Rick's illness, I was thinking that Nicholas in particular would have a difficult time being good. He is so easily bothered by change. But, no. He was wonderful. Maybe he is just growing up a bit. Although one day I know I will be sad to no longer have my little boys, I do look forward to some things about them getting a little older.


Then, at dinner, Nick explained why he was so well-behaved today.


"My name is not really Nicholas, Daddy", he explained to Rick. "My name is really Spiderman and I was bitten by a spider".
Ah hah! That explains it! I have to say, I was also so very impressed that he used proper grammar. Was bitten? Wow. I didn't think we had discussed being bitten versus bit for him to get that correct. It could have been luck.

1 comment:

Mom Mayhem says: said...

I know as much I hate doing the housework it is nice to look around and see the accomplishment. If only it would last more than a few seconds! =P
Oh and that is funny about your son being Spiderman-at least he got the grammar right =D